Wednesday 13 May 2015

BHC Volunteer Joe McGurk - My Story

My name is Joe McGurk I am a volunteer with Building Healthy Communities and have been for around about 8 years.  My first experience of the organisation was when I was informed about them through a friend, I then went on to meet Murdo who seemed positive and from there I could see that there was great potential.  It was clear that there was an opportunity to be involved with Community Projects which encouraged me and I felt very much empowered.

I had been writing poetry from a young age and one I could see that it was evident this was a passion of mine, very keen to share my work I became involved with individuals with similar interests.  People seemed to enjoy my company in a laid back social setting, which the BHC Office did become and I felt very comfortable in Community Groups. 

This gave me the opportunity to explore other Community work which I found very inspiring and from there I was introduced to a range of training opportunities which I found very helpful.  I am currently involved with a range of BHC Community Initiatives including the SHAWL Group , Social Media Sub Group and Dumfries and Galloway PA Network.
   This provided a broadening of my knowledge of Community Development and how to consult and engage with members of the public on aspects of need and understanding of relevant issues important to them.

Since becoming involved as a volunteer my confidence and self belief has greatly improved and this has allowed me to become involved with other organisations within the Community. The experienced gained has allowed me to be a voice for those experiencing inequalities and barriers in life.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.